A painted plaster sculpture, depicting a reduced copy of Greek warrior from the East pediment of the Temple of Aphaia. 19th century. H. 145 cm.
The pediment sculptures from the Aphaia temple (490–480 BC) were excavated in 1811 and exhibited in Munich Glyptothek from 1827. They depict the two Trojan wars. In 1815 Bertel Thorvaldsen restored the sculptures in a neo-classical style. The sculpture casts were used as models for drawing at the Royal Academy of Art (the womens department).
The figure was exhibited on “Astrid Holm & Co.” on Øregaard 2019. It is discussed in the catalogue and a simillar illustrated on a photo from 1904.