A set of four French gilt bronze wall lights, each with back pole as an arrow, four candle arms and cast with lion and Diana masks, mounted for electricity. After a model by Claude Galle (1759–1815), who made the original wall lights for the dining room at Grand Trianon at Versailles. 19th century. H. 64 cm. (4).
Literature: Hans Ottomeyer und Peter Pröschel, “Vergoldte Bronzen”, Klinkhardt & Biermann 1986, vol. II, p. 706, pl. 23.
Provenance: The Danish Consul General Hans Henning Schrøder (1892–1971), who was stationed in St. Petersburg around 1930. Hans Henning Schrøder was a prominent Danish diplomate who also, among others, was stationed in New York, Beijing, Brussels and Oslo. From 1954 to 1962 he was Chief of Protocol at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.