A set of six turned “Madonna” chairs of lacquered oak. Rail decorated with different painted leaves and branches. Seat and back upholstered with light fabric. These examples made to order approx. 1850. (6)
Provenance: The set of six chairs are part of an original set of 12 chairs made to order for Martin Hammerich. The remaining six chairs from the set are now part of the collection of the South Zealand Museum (now Museum Southeast Denmark).
Martin Hammerich designed the “hall” in his apartment on Christianshavn with a copy of Raphael's Sistine Madonna, made by Jørgen Roed in 1849–50, and on the same occasion, Hammerich had the whole hall decorated with new furniture designed by M.G. Bindesbøll. In 1865, the family moved to the Iselingen estate near Vordingborg, and the “Madonna room” was moved there as well. It was here that Hammerich spent his final years.
Literature: Miriam Gelfer-Jørgensen: “Herculaneum paa Sjælland”, ill. fig. 136 p. 153, fig. 139 p. 155 and fig. 140 p. 156, mentioned pp. 150–155.