The history of Bruun Rasmussen

Frederik Bruun Rasmussen at the podium in Bredgade

About Bruun Rasmussen

It all began at Bredgade in Copenhagen when Arne Bruun Rasmussen brought down the ivory hammer for the first time on 6 October 1948. Today Bruun Rasmussen is situated in both Copenhagen and Aarhus with four locations in total.

In October 1999, the doors opened to what is today Bruun Rasmussen's headquarters – Havnen – on the Copenhagen waterfront. Internationally, Bruun Rasmussen is represented in France, Spain, Italy and USA.

We are proud of the position we have achieved both at home and around the world, and our aim is at all times to promote Bruun Rasmussen as being Scandinavia’s most sought-after, trustworthy and attractive auction house with the highest levels of expertise relative to the valuation, purchase and sale of art, antiques and furniture and household effects.

We also aim to constantly add to our knowledge of art and antiques as a prerequisite of an auction house of international stature. For several decades we have sold a wide range of articles of value, from furniture, paintings and modern design to silver, carpets and wine, etc.

Bruun Rasmussen annually holds four traditional live auctions at Bredgade and more than 50 online auctions with about 100,000 lots. In other words, auctions are held almost every day of the year. Together with other valuation tasks the auction house’s valuers make at least a quarter of a million valuations every year.

Bruun Rasmussen as recognized broker

For more than 60 years, Bruun Rasmussen Auctioneers of Fine Art have been internationally recognized brokers of objets d’art, a position we have achieved by acting as competent collaborative partners for both buyer and seller.

A versatile selection, a certain knowledge of styles and the historical characteristics of the individual items along with comprehensive knowledge of legal and statutory requirements has resulted in our house attracting an ever-widening clientele.